• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Upgrade advice...

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I have had my Canon EOS 100D(Rebel SL1) for a solid 3-4 years and I'm considering upgrading. My main use for it recently has become video and the quality does lack in key areas. I was looking at the Sony A7S but apparently the quality of low light video isn't great, I don't wan't to rush into any decisions to quickly, and my budget(once my EOS 100D(Rebel SL1) is sold) could be £600/£700.

All help greatly appreciated

flakjack

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
What type of video do you shoot and what kind of lenses do you currently own? What about your current gear is currently letting you down?

You've mentioned a budget of £600/700 but the Sony A7s seems to retail at about £1500+, is it the older A7 you're looking at?

If you're shooting video from a cinematic perspective:

If you're currently using a kit lens and can afford to compose shots, change lenses and often use a tripod, a couple of prime lenses (fixed focal length) might give you a much greater leap in quality than upgrading bodies.

This also opens up options for a much more cinematic control of your images, bringing in things like DOF and Bokah, unlike that seen with kit lenses.

Canon 35mm F/2 (This should give you a perspective similar to the human eye on a crop body like the 100D(Rebel SL1))
Canon 50mm F/1.8
Canon 50mm F/1.2
Canon 85mm F/1.8

If your video needs are more general:

The Sony A7 is a great choice and you should be able to use your existing lenses with it.

If your needs are more action-oriented:

The GoPro range are fantastic and can be used pretty much anywhere, but you wound't get quite the level of control as you would with a DSLR.

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
What type of video do you shoot and what kind of lenses do you currently own? What about your current gear is currently letting you down?

You've mentioned a budget of £600/700 but the Sony A7s seems to retail at about £1500+, is it the older A7 you're looking at?

If you're shooting video from a cinematic perspective:

If you're currently using a kit lens and can afford to compose shots, change lenses and often use a tripod, a couple of prime lenses (fixed focal length) might give you a much greater leap in quality than upgrading bodies.

This also opens up options for a much more cinematic control of your images, bringing in things like DOF and Bokah, unlike that seen with kit lenses.

Canon 35mm F/2 (This should give you a perspective similar to the human eye on a crop body like the 100D(Rebel SL1)(Rebel SL1))
Canon 50mm F/1.8
Canon 50mm F/1.2
Canon 85mm F/1.8

If your video needs are more general:

The Sony A7 is a great choice and you should be able to use your existing lenses with it.

If your needs are more action-oriented:

The GoPro range are fantastic and can be used pretty much anywhere, but you wound't get quite the level of control as you would with a DSLR.
At first I had my eye on the A7S to start with but considering that was over my budget I did turn to the A7. I'd heard the A7S's footage was particularly good and wasn't sure how well the A7 compares. Ideally I would like a camera that is good in normal photography and also good in video (specifically low light).

I'm not knowledgeable in the effects that lenses can have on video quality, so I'm interested in the Canon array of lenses. (oh and DOF & Bokah?)

Thank you very much for the quick reply

Edit: The EOS 750D(Rebel T6i) looked intriguing

Last edited:

Ogofmole

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I can't help here as I do not do video, But don't rule out buying secondhand, as you will get more for your money.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
MPB, a forum sponsor should be worth a look.

This might interest you? A Canon 60D

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

flakjack

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi Knuxxed, what was it you were looking to video?

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hi Knuxxed, what was it you were looking to video?
I don't need anything for action as I have a GoPro. I was hoping to do cinematic filming, and have stayed interested with the Sony A7, until I spotted the Z Camera E1 Plus!
Successfully crowd funded and said to have amazing low light performance (just what I'm looking for) and coming in at £500 for a kit and cam I am finding little reason not to go for it.
I feel like there might be something I am missing out on because a camera for such a price seems suspicious, but hey if it is as good as it says it is I might go for it.

Cheers for the help once again

_____
Test footage of Z Camera E1 Plus:

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The video above does absolutely nothing for me as I have no idea what the lighting conditions were. The camera itself looks promising. The compact size makes it exciting as a back-up travel camera - for video. It fits well between the GoPro and mirrorless cameras. Not sure it is really and action camera despite its name. I would not recommend being an earlier adapter unless you are sure that it will meet your needs.

These reviews are pretty good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2Sq1Ew9Dk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5armYwX8QJ8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4VNl67S_g

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
The video above does absolutely nothing for me as I have no idea what the lighting conditions were. The camera itself looks promising. The compact size makes it exciting as a back-up travel camera - for video. It fits well between the GoPro and mirrorless cameras. Not sure it is really and action camera despite its name. I would not recommend being an earlier adapter unless you are sure that it will meet your needs.

These reviews are pretty good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2Sq1Ew9Dk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5armYwX8QJ8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4VNl67S_g
When looking at the videos either the presenter or comments present the Panasonic G7 or the Sony A6300 (of which I could just about find one in my price limit). I am more interested in the A6300 as it has a higher ISO range when using video. This guy helped a ton --->
All I'm really looking for is a stable camera that supports my mic (a problem with the Z Cam) and that is good with low light. I don't need 4K, but if a decent camera with my requirements does have 4K I'll consider.

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Does anyone have a suggestion besides the A6300 for solid, low light video in a dslr for £650?

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If a £6000 URSA struggles in low light, what makes you think the camera is the difference? Perhaps a better solution, considering your budget is finding a solution to lighting.

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
If a £6000 URSA struggles in low light, what makes you think the camera is the difference? Perhaps a better solution, considering your budget is finding a solution to lighting.
The situation in which I film, I have no control over the light... URSA?

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
High end 4K camera type is an ursa. In that case you really have limited options, one of those being as fast a lens as possible and crosses fingers for best conditions possible when you shoot

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
High end 4K camera type is an ursa. In that case you really have limited options, one of those being as fast a lens as possible and crosses fingers for best conditions possible when you shoot
From what I've seen the URSAs don't struggle (too much) in low light...

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
From what I've shot with one it depends completely on the lighting. If the lighting is poor I'd take a c300 or fs7 every time

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
From what I've shot with one it depends completely on the lighting. If the lighting is poor I'd take a c300 or fs7 every time
Yeah those are kinda out of my budget... so your main suggestion is get a different lens..?

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's the next logical step, if it's low light and you can't add lighting, your next step would be to get the best, fastest lens possible. Another tip would be to setup at a higher ISO, but then shoot lower. You get better results in post with regards noise reduction and less FPN too, than raising your ISO to shoot. The sensors on pretty much all the cameras in your budget won't vary greatly. So you'd be looking more at quality and speed of lens next

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
It's the next logical step, if it's low light and you can't add lighting, your next step would be to get the best, fastest lens possible. Another tip would be to setup at a higher ISO, but then shoot lower. You get better results in post with regards noise reduction and less FPN too, than raising your ISO to shoot. The sensors on pretty much all the cameras in your budget won't vary greatly. So you'd be looking more at quality and speed of lens next
Bingo! The problem with my camera is that it can only hit 6400 ISO when recording video whereas the A6300 can hit ISO 25600, and the A6300 lens type is quite universal, right?

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not really. What kind of noise does your camera produce at that ISO with stills? If using my URSA I'd set the shot up at 800 then drop it down to 400 to shoot, and deal with any colour grading or noise in post. That's using Prores 442 as using cfast cards shooting raw on a 256gb card would give me around 6minutes ... Sadly when it comes down to video, the kit can make all of the difference and it always is expensive if you want professional results.

jamos71

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
One method that may work for you is to use your funds to purchase the lens/software to maximise your budget. Then simply hire the camera body to suit the conditions and lens purchased as you need them. Camera bodies are a huge expense and something that is very rarely used every day or without prior planning. If planned correctly this method may work perfectly for you.

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Alright, this thread has been quite lately due to my searching for a camera, I am in the process of purchasing a Sony A7II Body, Which will leave me with £100 or so pounds to spend on a lens... Any ideas?
The Sigma Ex 19mm f/2.8 has caught my eye with a cheap(ish) price on eBay with a decent all-round performance, but if I were to be making a big mistake please do correct me.
Thank you for putting up with me :drinks:

Kevin Fox

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Alright, this thread has been quite lately due to my searching for a camera, I am in the process of purchasing a Sony A7II Body, Which will leave me with £100 or so pounds to spend on a lens... Any ideas?
The Sigma Ex 19mm f/2.8 has caught my eye with a cheap(ish) price on eBay with a decent all-round performance, but if I were to be making a big mistake please do correct me.
Thank you for putting up with me :drinks:
Just my opinion. The A7ll was a decent body. The R or S had some needed upgrades. The issue I have, your putting a cheap (ish) lens on it. That's not good in my book. The glass makes the setup, more then the body. Why put junk on a nice body? You won't be happy.

Knuxxed

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Just my opinion. The A7ll was a decent body. The R or S had some needed upgrades. The issue I have, your putting a cheap (ish) lens on it. That's not good in my book. The glass makes the setup, more then the body. Why put junk on a nice body? You won't be happy.
That makes sense, but our there any that you know of that are good all-rounders at a decent price?