• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Useful camera advancements!

Activ8

I made the 1,000,000 th post
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Most of the time camera advancements are more marketing gimmicks rather than real improvements... Such as do we really need ever increasing megapixals or dynamic sensitivity in light ranges we cannot even see! However when I moved to over to Sony last year their cameras had something called animal eye AF which I just thought was another gimmick. However I left it set on a button push on the lens that could toggle between human eye AF (which works really well)... and animal eye AF. During a Safari trip last year before lockdown I came across a young lion who was lying in the long grass but because I was shooting at a 600mm focal length and the grass was waving in the wind... the camera was doing a great job of focusing on the grass (pic1) as the lion slowly turned his head. Pushing the button to enable animal eye AF got it to instantly lock on to the lion (pic2)... Sometimes tech can be useful! :)

lion1-pf.jpg

lion2-pf.jpg

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Glad it works. Animal eye detection was really developed because people complained about photos of their dogs and cats. You know, because the internet needs more photos of those.

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Glad it works. Animal eye detection was really developed because people complained about photos of their dogs and cats. You know, because the internet needs more photos of those.
It probably was... I also was brought up in focus and recompose for studio portraits but the Sony's are just so good at eye detect focus especially with really shallow depth of field that there really is no excuse for a blurred photo other than camera shake and even that is hard to do with IBIS!

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Eye detect is just something that is possible with mirrorless. It was not before on DSLRs as there was no way for an image to be analysed by them processor. While it is a benefit, it comes at quite a few costs. There are a lot of things that mirrorless cameras just cannot do as well as a DSLR, yet.

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Technology is certainly changing things and mirrorless has taken focus accuracy to another level, however I don't think sensor output has changed a lot since about the Nikon D3's arrival. No doubt we (that live long enough to see it) will see something that can detect human/animal/landscape and take the shot with choice of processing. Just need the esky and a few beers then to sit back and watch on the ipad screen. Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 043

Nice shot by the way!

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Eye detect is just something that is possible with mirrorless. It was not before on DSLRs as there was no way for an image to be analysed by them processor. While it is a benefit, it comes at quite a few costs. There are a lot of things that mirrorless cameras just cannot do as well as a DSLR, yet.
I was a long time user of the Canon 1Dx series and it took a while to pry them out of my hands and trust mirrorless systems. However since getting the Sony A9ii, A7rvi and an RX10iv I have to say there is now very little that a DSLR can do better with. My biggest hangup on mirrorless was battery life and viewfinder lag... but the A9ii really has gotten past this at least for me... and the advantages of things like eye AF vs the foreground/background focus priority setting of the 1Dx is night and day. Also my pet hate of micro adjustment maps for all lenses and camera bodies are a thing of the past with mirrorless. The only thing I really miss on a DSLR is the noise and feel of the shutter firing... However I also miss the film advance lever of my old Leica M2 but not enough to make me go back! :grin:

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Technology is certainly changing things and mirrorless has taken focus accuracy to another level, however I don't think sensor output has changed a lot since about the Nikon D3's arrival. No doubt we (that live long enough to see it) will see something that can detect human/animal/landscape and take the shot with choice of processing. Just need the esky and a few beers then to sit back and watch on the ipad screen. Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 043

Nice shot by the way!
TBH you are probably right regarding the sensor... The Sony sensors are extremely forgiving for exposure and have more dynamic range than in most shots. This can make you a lazy photographer though... knowing that you can fix most things in post if you are in focus and the shot is not completely under of over exposed!

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I was a long time user of the Canon 1Dx series and it took a while to pry them out of my hands and trust mirrorless systems. However since getting the Sony A9ii, A7rvi and an RX10iv I have to say there is now very little that a DSLR can do better with. My biggest hangup on mirrorless was battery life and viewfinder lag... but the A9ii really has gotten past this at least for me... and the advantages of things like eye AF vs the foreground/background focus priority setting of the 1Dx is night and day. Also my pet hate of micro adjustment maps for all lenses and camera bodies are a thing of the past with mirrorless. The only thing I really miss on a DSLR is the noise and feel of the shutter firing... However I also miss the film advance lever of my old Leica M2 but not enough to make me go back! :grin:
I have spent some time using the A9II and recently and R5. As you say, battery life is not the best. For me, the lag on the Sony was noticeable and I missed shots as a result. The R5 is better on that front but still not perfect. Both I find the colour rendition through the VF is a bit off too. I reckon a generation or two more and they will be.

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have spent some time using the A9II and recently and R5. As you say, battery life is not the best. For me, the lag on the Sony was noticeable and I missed shots as a result. The R5 is better on that front but still not perfect. Both I find the colour rendition through the VF is a bit off too. I reckon a generation or two more and they will be.
It took me a while to find things in the A9ii menus as it is a pretty complex camera to setup... The lag can be reduced on the A9 by altering the first shot blanking time to a point where it doesn't feel like you are a frame behind although there is still a very slight lag but you do get used to it! I also find the VF colours off but luckily you can change the colour temp... I made it a bit cooler and it then seemed more natural! Not tried the R5 but would love to have a play when things open up again!

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I'll throw this one out there for info for people with mirrorless and IBIS. Not trying to bag any camera or brand just giving my own experience and why I still prefer a DSLR.

I've had mirrorless since 2011, Fuji, Olympus and Sony. Still have two and really love my A7 Mk2 and won't be getting rid of it. Twice now I've had to have the IBIS repaired. First time the IBIS was replaced. $700 Second time repaired without replacement.
Now someone is gunna say, well you shouldn't be so careless and look after your stuff!

I can assure you I take particular care with my camera gear but things happen. The first time I had the problem I was walking back inside our house. The Sony was in its Lowepro camera bag which fits it neatly and is well padded. It slipped from my grip at about waist level and fortunately (I thought) I managed to put my leg and foot out to stop the fall and impact the floor. It ran down my leg onto my foot and rolled about 1 metre across the floor and I sighed a bit of relief. because it didn't impact anything I didn't bother inspecting it and simply put it away in the bag.

A few days later I turned it on to use it and it simply came up with a notice on the LCD about some error and to turn it off and on again. This didn't fix the problem so I took the lens off and peered inside to which I could see the sensor on an angle. Not good I thought :rolleyes: so off to the camera repair place which diagnosed a damaged IBIS.

Doing a bit of googling I found that when turned off the sensor and ibis is just sitting there and can wobble about unlike when its on and charged up waiting to be used. Obviously the rolling motion has caused it to somehow dislodge and damage. Someone else might have more info on how this can happen but I trust the repair shop I go to.

Fast forward a couple of months and I turn it on again to the same scenario only this time I have no idea how or why but I'm starting to want to
throw a brick through the neighbours window. :swoon: No not really but I'm losing confidence in taking my beloved Sony with me.

Yes, I know things can happen to anything but I've never had something happen so easily to any DSLR and think I could just about club someone to death with the D3 and still perform flawlessly. Hell, probably even the D7200.

riddell

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
do we really need dynamic sensitivity in light ranges we cannot even see!
As you say most of these 'improvements' are gimmicks, or more accurately automated features that help some people take a bit better photos.

However dynamic range is still a problem and its more of a problem that the camera cannot see what I can see.

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
TBH you are probably right regarding the sensor... The Sony sensors are extremely forgiving for exposure and have more dynamic range than in most shots. This can make you a lazy photographer though... knowing that you can fix most things in post if you are in focus and the shot is not completely under of over exposed!
For the hellofit you might want to try out the EOS-1D X Mark III, apparently it has eye detection using the dual-pixel sensor (but not animal eye detection). https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppers-reviews-canon-eos-1dx-mark-iii-who-needs-mirrorless-507440

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
For the hellofit you might want to try out the EOS-1D X Mark III, apparently it has eye detection using the dual-pixel sensor (but not animal eye detection). https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppers-reviews-canon-eos-1dx-mark-iii-who-needs-mirrorless-507440
I did have a play with a pre-production model of the III whilst I still had a II but a few things were against it. 20mp was too few for me for everything I do and at the price it would be my only body and the fact that Canon seem to be putting all the efforts into the RF mount now. For the same cost as a single 1Dxiii body I got the A9ii and the A7riv bodies. The 1Dxiii is superb and you could use it to hammer in nails just like all the others!

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've tried several mirrorless camera's and not enjoyed them at all nor have I see how they'd improve my landscape photography. I find the OVF amazing to compose with. Live view helps if the view finder doesn't give 100% coverage and I admit to liking the histogram preview but it's based on the camera JPEG - not the RAW.

The sensors in the Sony stuff are great (but do google PDAF banding - putting phase detect on the sensor isn't wise).

I like the advances in resolution but why cannot we get past 14.8ev of DR - and why only at base ISO. I wish we could get totally noise free 20 ev stops of DR at ISO1000 rather than just ISO100. Sensor tech has still some way to go. 14.8 EV barely covers a landscape scene with some shadow and sunlight foreground.

Why cannot we develop a lens coating that can adaptively cancel any bright spots - such as blown skies relative to the foreground. I'd find that much more useful than say focus peaking, or eye AF.

And finally - can't they develop a sensor coating that repels dust spots - these are a PITA to clean and PITA to heal out in post.

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As you say most of these 'improvements' are gimmicks, or more accurately automated features that help some people take a bit better photos.

However dynamic range is still a problem and its more of a problem that the camera cannot see what I can see.
The modern camera especially the mirrorless, allows you to take photos that were not possible with film and SLR's. I don't think they are gimmicks, they are just using technology to allow unheard of procedures in the old days. I use Olympus, one of its amazing features is ProCap, which I allows photos to be stored in a buffer with a half pressed, shutter, and only stores the last programmed number of photos when the shutter id fully pressed. I am sure other brands have similar, but it allows very detailed photos of moments in time. Your reflexes could not possibly be quick enough to press the shutter button quick enough. (always an exception I know).

Whatever your views, and I respect those, you cannot put the genie back in the bottle. I enjoy the modern camera at least as much as my old Pentax film P30, which I do very occasionally put a film through....

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I like the advances in resolution but why cannot we get past 14.8ev of DR - and why only at base ISO. I wish we could get totally noise free 20 ev stops of DR at ISO1000 rather than just ISO100. Sensor tech has still some way to go. 14.8 EV barely covers a landscape scene with some shadow and sunlight foreground.
The 14.8ev DR limitation I believe has more to do with the 14bit AtoD pipeline of the sensor hardware rather than the actual sensor sensitivity itself. Even my supposedly 16bit medium format Hasselblad and Phaseone stuff was only 14bit with 2 bits of noise. Capturing tethered in C1pro my phaseone backs could do 15bit in the software pipeline but as the dynamic range of those backs at the time was around 13.5ev then there was no visible advantage.

Keitht

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm old enough to remember auto-focus and auto-metering being considered as gimmicks, never mind digital photography!

JonathanJones

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think most of the 'innovation' in cameras will be to the software going forward. Computational photography is the future. Just look at cell phone cameras. One thing I hear a lot is that people want cameras to have more programmable function buttons on them. Again, software.

riddell

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
No
I use Olympus, one of its amazing features is ProCap, which I allows photos to be stored in a buffer with a half pressed, shutter, and only stores the last programmed number of photos when the shutter id fully pressed. I am sure other brands have similar, but it allows very detailed photos of moments in time. Your reflexes could not possibly be quick enough to press the shutter button quick enough. (always an exception I know).
So its pretty much just shooting video? and only writes the last second or so to the card, which you then pull a still out of?